Summer is coming and we would like to enjoy the rays of the sun or, on the contrary, prepare a cool corner under the protective shade of the trees. And to set up the outdoor lounge of our dreams at lower cost, nothing better than a little recovery! Here is the magic recipe for transforming your old tablecloths and tires into an original and comfortable ottoman.
- a tire
- one or more paint bombs
- a square of the 80cm side of oilcloth
- foam or an old table protector roll
- a board
- upholstery screws and nails
- paint tape
- a jigsaw
1. To clean the paint properly, clean the tire with soapy water. Brush well and let it dry. If you do not have a tire to be recycled, you can pick it up at the landfills.
2. When dry, cover the tire with paint. Remember to protect the floor and allow the paint to dry before turning the tire.
3. Glue strips of tape to mark your patterns. I opt for a sober white line, which accentuates the drawings formed by the ribs of the tires.
4. To form the seat, draw on your board two circles of the same diameter as your tire. Cut them out with a jigsaw.
5. Cut a circle in the foam, the same diameter as your board. If, like me, you recycle a table protector that has already lived well, superimpose several circles for a more comfortable seat.
6. Form the seat by placing the foam (or the table guard rings) on one of the boards. Then cover with a square of oilcloth, recycle for example an old tablecloth! Then turn the assembly over.
7. Hold the seat and pad by nailing the fabric to the underside of the board. The foam is thus maintained and the seat is ready!
8. Attach the seat you have just created to the tire. For an invisible finish, screw from the inside of the tire and make sure that the screw does not pierce the wood!
9. Screw the second plank to the underside of the tire, to provide better stability to the ottoman.
10. Turn the assembly over, and it’s over!
Create another foamless ottoman to make a table. And that’s what makes a comfortable reading corner or a small tea room, with only recycled materials! To adapt these poufs into recycled tires inside, they are given a little elegance by creating feet. Screw wheels or wooden sections on the base, and your for a different look!
Unleash your creativity: vary the colors of the tire and the seat and feel free to play with the effects of the tread grooves. I found a small tractor tire that gives a totally different result!